Resurrect a Mediatek phone "almost" or "completely" lifeless

Medicenpapirico

Jul 2, 2018
Hey! i just found this website, like it a lot, theres a BUNCH of useful information about mtk devices (which i love) i've managed to resurrect many mtk devices, but with time a lot of them with a corrupted preloader has been piling up, the thing is most of them give the "unknonw device" error when connecting to pc on windows 7 and windows 10, and some connect for a brief time and then disconnect, what could be a way to work around that?
thanks in advance!

Reactions: mrsim

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hey! i just found this website, like it a lot, theres a BUNCH of useful information about mtk devices (which i love) i've managed to resurrect many mtk devices, but with time a lot of them with a corrupted preloader has been piling up, the thing is most of them give the "unknonw device" error when connecting to pc on windows 7 and windows 10, and some connect for a brief time and then disconnect, what could be a way to work around that?
thanks in advance!
connection problems usualy involve making sure that you have the correct drivers,(mtk usb together with mtk usb vcom), correctly installed onto your p.c. after that it's all about the preloader,usually pressing and holding vol- OR vol+ before you connect the device will trigger the preloader to connect to the drivers

Reactions: adewale

Medicenpapirico

Jul 2, 2018
where can i find the most updated MTK (Vcom,Preloaders,etc.) drivers? is there an official page? somebody knows something about what machinery or tools are for MTK JTAG?

Reactions: mrsim

Cas

Jan 24, 2019
Hi all,

My first post here and I'm already in trouble!!

I have a Cubot Dinosaur, which since I don't play games or anything is fine for me. I truly dislike Cubot's complete lack of security updates though, so would never buy another. It is on the official V11 update, the last update that actually worked on the phone's own update app. I was going to try flashing the Lineage ROM, so installed the recommended TWRP. when I tried to use the backup facility on TWRP, the finished backup was bigger than the predicted result, and the phone now only boots to either TWRP (using power and volume up), or as far as the Cubot logo on a normal boot. I will have to try the procedure listed here to un-brick the damned thing, but any hints you can give me in advance of this would be greatly appreciated.

NOW SORTED. I used the official V12 update (because it was closest to what I already had) to restore the phone as per Cleo's instructions. Thanks Cleo. Now I'll have to think about putting on Lineage, although it recommends that the V16 official update is put on first, so that is two flashes just to get to Android 7.1! Do I really need this hassle? ;-)

thanks,

Cas

Last edited: