Resurrect a Mediatek phone "almost" or "completely" lifeless

cleopatra81

Mar 13, 2016
Milan

How to resurrect a Mediatek phone "almost" or "completely" lifeless

a) Phone "completely lifeless" means that no longer gives any sign of life (even the "power button").

b) Phone "almost lifeless" means the reaction to the pressure on the "power" button (stuck at the logo or bootloop).

Reasons of brick

Usually the brick is caused by an interruption during the flash process of a firmware (stock or custom).
The 2 main reasons are the lack of battery power, or the USB cable slack/disconnection.
Another cause is the attempt to flash a firmware not compatible.
In that case, the attempt to flash a non-compliant firmware will corrupt the "preloader.bin".
The "preloader.bin", very simply said, is vital to the booting process of the phone.

Classical symptoms

The typical symptoms of a bricked phone are the next,
in sequence, from the most serious to the most bland :

1) The phone does not turn on even pressing several buttons combinations (volume and power).
2) The phone turn on and turn off with an almost infinite loop, called "bootloop".
3) The phone turn on, but it is stuck in the logo image.
4) You can not restart your phone into "Recovery" mode.
5) You can not perform a "hard reset".

The common error that often is committed by many people, is to "shot in the dark" to unbrick their phones.
"Shot in the dark" means following wrong procedures, or worse flashing incompatible firmwares.
And in doing so, the only result is make the situation worse.
Any further "random" attempt, make the restoring increasingly difficult.
When pressing the "power" button, you do not have any reaction by the phone,
it probably means that the "preloader.bin" is corrupted.
In order to restore a bricked phone, the following tools are needed :

a) SP Flash Tool (possibly the latest version available).
You can download it at the following link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u3iepolka1ru6vy/SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1628.rar

b) An USB cable not too much used, otherwise it could compromise the flash process.
c) The VCOM drivers. You can find at the next link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zdteabot888adys/ADB_Drivers_v5.1453.03.rar

4) And of course a PC. If you have a desktop PC, I recommend you to use the USB back ports.

PROCEDURE - MULTIPLE SOLUTIONS

First solution :

1) Open SP Flash Tool. Click on "flash_tool.exe",
possibly as Admin (right click on exe and then click on "Run as administrator").
2) If the "power button" phone does not work,
I suggest you just flash the "preloader.bin".
3) Take care, I only use the "preoloader.bin" of the stock firmware.
Do not try "strange experiments" with "preloader.bin" extrapolated from strangers firmwares.
4) Load scatter files and select the only "preloader.bin", deselecting all other files.
5) Click on "Download".
6) After the flash of "preloader.bin" (yellow progress bar to 100%),
the "power" button should at least vibrate to the pressure.
7) Now proceed with the flash of the other files,
by ticking every single square of the remaining sections, and unticking the "preloader.bin".
8) If everything will be fine after the flash of the remaining sections, the phone should be restored.

In the event that your phone, in the "Device Manager" (Windows),
displayed as the device "MTK USB PORT", perform the following steps :

a) Flash only the "preloader.bin".
In SP Flash Tool select "Firmware Upgrade" (also try the "Download Only").
b) Click on "Download" to start the flash process.
c) If, unfortunately, nothing has changed in the "Device Manager",
then install the VCOM drivers (the link is a few lines above).

Second solution :

If your phone bricked due to sudden interruption of the flash process, perform the following steps :

1) Remove the battery and connect your phone to a power outlet using the charger.
2) Reinsert the battery (leaving your phone connected to the charger).
3) Let the phone connected to the power outlet at least an hour.
4) While the smartphone is charging,
at regular intervals stimolate it by pressing the "power" and "volume up" buttons.
5) After the charging time, try to turn on the phone.
6) If it will does not turn on, try to flash the stock firmware anyway.
7) If SP Flash Tool will does not start,
try to remove the battery and wait 30 seconds before to reinsert it.
8) Click on "Download" before to connect your phone to the PC with the USB cable; then, plug the USB.
9) Try to change the USB port (preferably the back ports, if you have a desktop pc).
10) Make sure you have properly installed the VCOM drivers. If not, please follow the step 11.
11) Uninstall VCOM, ADB, Preloader and MTK drivers by the following software :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

To better understand how to uninstall the drivers by USB Deview,
please watch carefully the next video :

12) After that you have uninstalled these drivers,
reinstall the VCOM drivers. You can find it at the next link:

13) Open SP Flash Tool by clicking on "flash_tool.exe",
possibly as Admin (right click on exe and then click on "Run as administrator").
14) Load scatter files and click "Download".
15) If the flash does not start, remove the battery,connect your phone to your PC without battery,
click "Download" and reinsert the battery.

Third solution :

If the second solution did not produce any results,
then I propose to proceed with the following steps:

1) Open SP Flash Tool by clicking on "flash_tool.exe",
2) Load scatter files and click "Download".
3) While connect your phone to the PC with USB cable,
and press the "Volume Down" button.
4) If SP Flash Tool does not start, repeat the same procedure,
but this time press simultaneously "volume down" + "power" buttons.
5) If still SP Flash Tool does not start, repeat the same procedure,
but now press only the "volume up" button.
6) If still SP Flash Tool does not start, repeat the same procedure,
but now press simultaneously "volume up" + "power" buttons.

GlennOC

Jul 6, 2017
Hi, im a bit lost, does nayone know how to get the scatter file for the flash tool?

Please help

Reactions: mrsim

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
the scatter should be included in the stock rom of your phone. YOu can create your own scatter, but only if the phone is in a working condition.

GlennOC

Jul 6, 2017
The phone is lifeless.. and the person im trying to help, says it didnt come with a cd..

GlennOC

Jul 6, 2017
its boots up until the mediatek logo and says loading, and then restarts

Last edited:

Chandrasekaran

Aug 14, 2017
How to resurrect a Mediatek phone "almost" or "completely" lifeless

a) Phone "completely lifeless" means that no longer gives any sign of life (even the "power button").

b) Phone "almost lifeless" means the reaction to the pressure on the "power" button (stuck at the logo or bootloop).

Reasons of brick

Usually the brick is caused by an interruption during the flash process of a firmware (stock or custom).
The 2 main reasons are the lack of battery power, or the USB cable slack/disconnection.
Another cause is the attempt to flash a firmware not compatible.
In that case, the attempt to flash a non-compliant firmware will corrupt the "preloader.bin".
The "preloader.bin", very simply said, is vital to the booting process of the phone.

Classical symptoms

The typical symptoms of a bricked phone are the next,
in sequence, from the most serious to the most bland :

1) The phone does not turn on even pressing several buttons combinations (volume and power).
2) The phone turn on and turn off with an almost infinite loop, called "bootloop".
3) The phone turn on, but it is stuck in the logo image.
4) You can not restart your phone into "Recovery" mode.
5) You can not perform a "hard reset".

The common error that often is committed by many people, is to "shot in the dark" to unbrick their phones.
"Shot in the dark" means following wrong procedures, or worse flashing incompatible firmwares.
And in doing so, the only result is make the situation worse.
Any further "random" attempt, make the restoring increasingly difficult.
When pressing the "power" button, you do not have any reaction by the phone,
it probably means that the "preloader.bin" is corrupted.
In order to restore a bricked phone, the following tools are needed :

a) SP Flash Tool (possibly the latest version available).
You can download it at the following link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u3iepolka1ru6vy/SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1628.rar

b) An USB cable not too much used, otherwise it could compromise the flash process.
c) The VCOM drivers. You can find at the next link:

4) And of course a PC. If you have a desktop PC, I recommend you to use the USB back ports.

PROCEDURE - MULTIPLE SOLUTIONS

First solution :

1) Open SP Flash Tool. Click on "flash_tool.exe",
2) If the "power button" phone does not work,
I suggest you just flash the "preloader.bin".
3) Take care, I only use the "preoloader.bin" of the stock firmware.
Do not try "strange experiments" with "preloader.bin" extrapolated from strangers firmwares.
4) Load scatter files and select the only "preloader.bin", deselecting all other files.
5) Click on "Download".
6) After the flash of "preloader.bin" (yellow progress bar to 100%),
the "power" button should at least vibrate to the pressure.
7) Now proceed with the flash of the other files,
by ticking every single square of the remaining sections, and unticking the "preloader.bin".
8) If everything will be fine after the flash of the remaining sections, the phone should be restored.

In the event that your phone, in the "Device Manager" (Windows),
displayed as the device "MTK USB PORT", perform the following steps :

a) Flash only the "preloader.bin".
In SP Flash Tool select "Firmware Upgrade" (also try the "Download Only").
b) Click on "Download" to start the flash process.
c) If, unfortunately, nothing has changed in the "Device Manager",
then install the VCOM drivers (the link is a few lines above).

Second solution :

If your phone bricked due to sudden interruption of the flash process, perform the following steps :

1) Remove the battery and connect your phone to a power outlet using the charger.
2) Reinsert the battery (leaving your phone connected to the charger).
3) Let the phone connected to the power outlet at least an hour.
4) While the smartphone is charging,
at regular intervals stimolate it by pressing the "power" and "volume up" buttons.
5) After the charging time, try to turn on the phone.
6) If it will does not turn on, try to flash the stock firmware anyway.
7) If SP Flash Tool will does not start,
try to remove the battery and wait 30 seconds before to reinsert it.
8) Click on "Download" before to connect your phone to the PC with the USB cable; then, plug the USB.
9) Try to change the USB port (preferably the back ports, if you have a desktop pc).
10) Make sure you have properly installed the VCOM drivers. If not, please follow the step 11.
11) Uninstall VCOM, ADB, Preloader and MTK drivers by the following software :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

To better understand how to uninstall the drivers by USB Deview,
please watch carefully the next video :

12) After that you have uninstalled these drivers,
reinstall the VCOM drivers. You can find it at the next link:

13) Open SP Flash Tool by clicking on "flash_tool.exe",
14) Load scatter files and click "Download".
15) If the flash does not start, remove the battery,connect your phone to your PC without battery,
click "Download" and reinsert the battery.

Third solution :

If the second solution did not produce any results,
then I propose to proceed with the following steps:

1) Open SP Flash Tool by clicking on "flash_tool.exe",
2) Load scatter files and click "Download".
3) While connect your phone to the PC with USB cable,
and press the "Volume Down" button.
4) If SP Flash Tool does not start, repeat the same procedure,
but this time press simultaneously "volume down" + "power" buttons.
5) If still SP Flash Tool does not start, repeat the same procedure,
but now press only the "volume up" button.
6) If still SP Flash Tool does not start, repeat the same procedure,
but now press simultaneously "volume up" + "power" buttons.

Hi I tried following the guide but nothing seems to work with the Lenovo A916. Below are the steps I followed.

The phone was on a indefinite bootloop and was booting only when a charger was connected.

I tried re flashing stock rom (downloaded from needrom.com) using SP Flash tools. From then on it is on a indefinite bootloop irrespective of whether I am connected to a charger or without the charger.

I tried reinstalling MTK drivers and re flashing and even format the EPROM but nothing helps. The additional symptom is the batterry drains to Zero when I try to press the power button or Vol up and power.

Any help for reviving the phone is much appreciated

I even tried opening the cover to short the Test Point (as explained in the video link in one of the posts here) but am not able to identify the Test Point in the board and the symptom persists despite flashing using 3 different PC/Laptop to eliminate driver issues

Thanks

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
try charging the battery and then once it's full try booting into recovery and wipe data factory reset...sometimes when you flash a rom you need to clear the cache and dalvik cache,(which a factory reset from recovery will do), before the device will boot properly...without doing this the device will boot loop

Chandrasekaran

Aug 14, 2017
try charging the battery and then once it's full try booting into recovery and wipe data factory reset...sometimes when you flash a rom you need to clear the cache and dalvik cache,(which a factory reset from recovery will do), before the device will boot properly...without doing this the device will boot loop
Thanks,. I am not able to get to recovery mode at all. Once it is charged if I try recovery mode using Vol up + power button, it just vibrates and gives a flash of start up screen and battery drains to zero. Is there anyway, I can clear the dalvik cache from PC or any physical method? Thanks

Percymama

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Mar 19, 2014
Cornwall United Kingdom
Very useful tutorial :blush:

But only really relevant if you actually have the stock Rom to begin with?

In my experience most people who are having issue's like this, simply can't find their stock Rom, in which case this doesn't really help them :I

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Thanks,. I am not able to get to recovery mode at all. Once it is charged if I try recovery mode using Vol up + power button, it just vibrates and gives a flash of start up screen and battery drains to zero. Is there anyway, I can clear the dalvik cache from PC or any physical method? Thanks
no not at all...how quickly does the battery drain from full to zero as you seem to explain it like it's happening almost instantly...if this is the case then i expect there is also a hardware fault...as no battery should drain that fast...also try vol- & power see if this will give you any options as well

Chandrasekaran

Aug 14, 2017
no not at all...how quickly does the battery drain from full to zero as you seem to explain it like it's happening almost instantly...if this is the case then i expect there is also a hardware fault...as no battery should drain that fast...also try vol- & power see if this will give you any options as well
I am not sure but on pressing Vol+ and Power or Vol- and Power button, the phone vibrates with a flicker of the boot screen and it happens about 4-5 times and goes to Chinsese welcome screen for 2-3 secs and discplays as batterry is zero irrespective of whether it is full charge or half charged. I also tried to press power buttom without battery for 7 seconds with charger connected and connect the battery to see if it helps. But none seems to work. It worked for a short time when I tried to flash CN ROM but it also started having a boot loop moreover, I was not enable USB debugging (as could not make out from language displayed,i.e. mandarin)

Zerety

Sep 16, 2017
Hi, I have huawei P10 VTRL09C432 .. A couple days ago i did relock bootloader and now i can not enter my phone.it stuck at Error mode.
I tried almost every method but it always comes back to error mode. I discharge the batterry and charge, if I am lucky, sometimes it will boot into the system but it will black out. I can not do anything except turn off, but while it was in this stage, i could connect to pc and get detected. pc try to install MTP driver but it also failed. I tried command in adb, it also failed (waiting for devices) ....

Issues :
1.boot loader locked
2.no recovery ( can not be load )
3.can not enter fastboot
4.can not force update
5.PC not detect

Can i use this method to revive my phone ? Where can i get scatter file ? , because in stock firmware doesn't have any scatter.txt ..
i will really apreciate your help .. thank you

Last edited:

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hi, I have huawei P10 VTRL09C432 .. A couple days ago i did relock bootloader and now i can not enter my phone.it stuck at Error mode.
I tried almost every method but it always comes back to error mode. I discharge the batterry and charge, if I am lucky, sometimes it will boot into the system but it will black out. I can not do anything except turn off, but while it was in this stage, i could connect to pc and get detected. pc try to install MTP driver but it also failed. I tried command in adb, it also failed (waiting for devices) ....

Issues :
1.boot loader locked
2.no recovery ( can not be load )
3.can not enter fastboot
4.can not force update
5.PC not detect

Can i use this method to revive my phone ? Where can i get scatter file ? , because in stock firmware doesn't have any scatter.txt ..
i will really apreciate your help .. thank you
hello there no this method will not wotk with this device as it has huawei'sown HiSilicon Kirin 960 CPU this method is for mediatek MTK cpu's only...i am not sure but don't huawei have their own media suite that you can download..maybe this can help to revive the device...if not i would try dedicated huawei forums for advice

Zerety

Sep 16, 2017
thank you for the answer. yes huawei does have HiSuite but unlike Kies.Hisuite doesn't have an option to download new firmware and rewrite new system by connecting usb . HiSuite require fastboot to work on recovery. unless i could go to fastboot mode but i can't . i tried to go to recovery mode , force upgrade from SD but nothing seems to work. everything come back to error. or at least , i would like to know how can i make fastboot to work , that would help slove the issues , i think..

here is my error

Attachments

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
usualy for fastboot you have to enable usb debugging in settings...then once that is working you could maybe attempt to get into fastboot mode via ADB commands

Reactions: Zerety

Zerety

Sep 16, 2017
usualy for fastboot you have to enable usb debugging in settings...then once that is working you could maybe attempt to get into fastboot mode via ADB commands
i already understand that part ,sadly i can't enter phone setting because once it charge it will boot to huawei logo , after that all i can see is black but i still can volume or turn off. Pc deteced MTP but not succes. i bought otg usb adaptor today .. founded in some forum it might help for debugging .. i am at death end right now :coldsweat::confounded: , thank you for replied

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
i already understand that part ,sadly i can't enter phone setting because once it charge it will boot to huawei logo , after that all i can see is black but i still can volume or turn off. Pc deteced MTP but not succes. i bought otg usb adaptor today .. founded in some forum it might help for debugging .. i am at death end right now :coldsweat::confounded: , thank you for replied
i would say your best bet is to find a dedicated huaweiforum am sure you will find an answer there am sorry we cannot help you

Reactions: Zerety

Zerety

Sep 16, 2017
i would say your best bet is to find a dedicated huaweiforum am sure you will find an answer there am sorry we cannot help you
i appreciated all of you help.. i will try looking for huawei forum..thanks again