[HOW TO] Root and install TWRP (custom recovery) on Blackview A7 Pro / MT6367M

mikestr

May 3, 2018
Hi guys,

I've went through a lot of testings and readings about my and similar MTK devices before I finally managed to install the custom recovery and root it.
Most tutorials found online didn't work for me at all and their included files had weird sizes and corrupted scatter files, so I decided to publish this tutorial
in case anyone is struggling like i was. As this is my first guide ever, feel free to comment, correct me or throw old chips at me! ;-)

CAUTION, WARNING! THIS METHOD IS RISKY! YOU COULD END UP WITH A BRICKED DEVICE - NO PHONE. YOUR MARRIAGE MAY DIE OR YOUR ALARM WON'T RING AND YOU'LL GET FIRED.
WHATEVER, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY! YOU'RE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS WAS ONLY TESTED ON BLACKVIEW A7 PRO! IF YOU PROCEED, A BACKUP IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA ;-)

THE REQUIREMENTS:
  1. MTK Drivers
  2. ADB Drivers
  3. SP Flash Tool
  4. USB Cable
  5. SD Card
  6. TWRP Recovery
  7. 3Gb free space on your hard drive
  8. Stock Bootloader
  9. Charged Phone
  10. Linux/Windows OS

THE DOWNLOADS:

THE PROCESS

To get our devices recognized by the computer, we have to install the android bridge (ADB) and MTK drivers. I suggest you use this forum or google for further info on how to do this.
Afterwards, we need to download TWRP recovery, stock bootloader, SuperSU, scatter file and the SP flash tool which we'll use to write the new recovery to chip.
Before we write the new recovery, let's enable adb debugging on our phone under developer options. Use china-devices forum or google for more info.
After writing the new recovery, we will boot into it and install SuperSU aka root, so our recovery becomes persistent and won't get overwritten.
I did this via SD Card on which I've transferred SuperSU earlier, but you can also apply it different ways (tether, adb, etc.) using the TWRP recovery.
I've made a package of all required files (except SP Flash Tool), but I recommend you do also download the complete Official Blackview A7 Pro ROM (1.5Gb) in case something goes wrong.

THE PREPERATION
  1. Download the files, create a folder and extract all *.zip files EXCEPT SR1-SuperSU-v2.82-SR1-20170608224931.zip into this folder.
  2. Enable USB debugging under developer options on your phone.
  3. To make it easier later, copy the file SR1-SuperSU-v2.82-SR1-20170608224931.zip to your SD Card and if not already, put the SD Card afterwards in your Blackview A7 Pro.
Now when everything's set-up, we can proceed to the fun part ;-)

LET'S START!
  • Make sure no devices are connected to your computer at this point!
  • Fire up SP Flash Tool (run as admin).
  • In the SP Flash Tool Enable advanced menu, by pressing CTRL + ALT + V.
  • Go to download tab.
  • In the download tab, under Download-Agent, point to the file DA_SWSEC_CRYPTO20.bin - it's in the SP Flash Tool folder.
  • Select our MT6737M_Android_scatter.txt file you've extracted for the next scatter field - it should automatically check only the preloader part of the EMMC and Location path should point to the preloader_hct6737m_65_n.bin file.
  • Navigate to SP Flash Tool menu and under Window, you'll find an option Write memory. Click on it and a new tab will be added.
  • Go to the new tab called Write memory. In this section you have 3 fields.
  • Select our TWRP+3.1.1_a7PRO_V0.12.20171031.img recovery image in the first field, change the Begin Address to: 0x2D80000 and Region to EMMC_USER.
  • Make sure your phone is powered-off.
  • Double-check everything!
  • If everything seems OK, press the Write memory button. It will wait for the phone to send the download signal.
  • While your phone is off, press and hold VOL+ and VOL- at the same time and connect it with the USB cable to your computer. After 3 or 4 seconds the flashing process will start.
Because of recovery's filesize, this should complete in seconds. Afterwards a green OK check should appear. This is the time where you can unplug the phone.
Now, we should avoid booting into anything else than bootloader/recovery, or our fresh installed recovery will be overwritten by default one.

• Boot into the bootloader by pressing and holding VOL+ and POWER for 10secs until menu appears.
  • Select recovery and wait until you get dropped into TWRP. Meanwhile a red state message pops-up, just ignore it.
  • When in TWRP, don't get fooled by the Russian language, just click the right button which will open up the language selection dialog.
  • Select your language.
  • Go to install and browse for the SR1-SuperSU-v2.82-SR1-20170608224931.zip file you've loaded on the SD Card and flash it.
  • Wipe cache/dalvik and reboot
  • That's it, custom recovery installed! ;-)

NOTES

This method didn't work for me when the bootloader was unlocked / (orange state).

CREDITS & THANKS

I'd like to thank mrsim, #android@freenode, lad777@4pda.ru, twrp, jemmini, chainfire, my dad for this device and mother earth for the caffeine and herb ;-)

Last edited:

Ant0ni0

Jun 15, 2018
Hello, I try to install the TWRP recovery but something goes wrong. TWRP works perfectly but smartphone operating system doesn't start, every time I get on the smartphone, I get only TWRP recovery screen. I've download original firmware too to safe the situation, I try to flash it by SP Flash Tool but I get enable "DRAM failed error 4032". I'm very sad for this, how can I do to solve? Thank you everybody.

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hello, I try to install the TWRP recovery but something goes wrong. TWRP works perfectly but smartphone operating system doesn't start, every time I get on the smartphone, I get only TWRP recovery screen. I've download original firmware too to safe the situation, I try to flash it by SP Flash Tool but I get enable "DRAM failed error 4032". I'm very sad for this, how can I do to solve? Thank you everybody.
this error "4032" is usually drivers make sure that you have the correct mtk usb vcom drivers installed correctly on your p.c. please go to our tutorial secion and look there for install instructions