HOW TO PORT TWRP ON MEDIATEK DEVICES

someoneelse

Feb 15, 2017
yeah , dunno got 50 pages open, reading like madman then i run into abbreviation and i get sick in my stomach. i freaking hate them in guides :)
nice job on guide needed some reminder from few years back

cleopatra81

Mar 13, 2016
Milan
@mrsim :

You are lucky he did not ask you the meaning of "bdsm" :emoji_smiling_imp:

Ridha

Mar 14, 2017
Hi everybody
I try to follow Cleo's instructions for my Evermiracle_Plus (clone of Walton Primo R4 & Gionee F103).
At the end of the sixth, I note that the folder "Recovery" contains only 9 files instead of 10 planned ("recovery.img-mtk" is absent)
I think I had a bad start!

Attachments

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hi everybody
I try to follow Cleo's instructions for my Evermiracle_Plus (clone of Walton Primo R4 & Gionee F103).
At the end of the sixth, I note that the folder "Recovery" contains only 9 files instead of 10 planned ("recovery.img-mtk" is absent)
I think I had a bad start!
hello mate,best to ask cleo herself in her original thread over at chinaphonearena HERE

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
hey cleo...the thread for carliv in the OP has been closed over st XDA and the links to the software removed...is there any chance you can update the OP here with links to any versions you may have...thanks

japermedalla

Jul 5, 2017
hey can some help me on porting twrp.. every twrp i port just dont boot.. after i ported the twrp normally i flash it using adb fast boot using this commands
-------------------------------------------
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery recovery (recoveryname).img

fastboot reboot

adb reboot recovery..
---------------------------------------------
flashing is successful but when reboot recovery.. the boot logo pop up and then shuts the screen of and boot to normally.. cant even see the twrp

i have an mtk6753 Aurii Passion,, the complete replica of my phone is Elephone P8000 having the same mtk version and and resolution architecture.. thats why i used their twrp to at least lessen any bugs.. but still i failed.. tried all of the different kinds of methods.. but not carliv because my pc is 32 bit and carliv is 64 except for the modded one

i managed to pull my stock recovery using miracle box (found it on hovatek),, then tried to root using that but failed.. so we started porting

me and my friend ruben craviero a dev from xda have been trying to port me a nice and working twrp so far weve ported a total of 58 custom recoveries 51 of which is twrp and the remaining 7 is cwm and philz. but everything weve ported has failed.. we have no official support from our device manufacturer

heres my specs

Aurii Passion
Non rooted
MTK6753
Android 6.0
Kernel Version : 3.18.19 (helios@helios) (gcc version 4.9.x-google 20140827 (prerelease) (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 27 16:22:54 CST 2106
bits: 64-bit
Screen Res: 720x1280 HD
android sdk version : 23
density: 284 dpi
Vender: ARM
GPU ver: OpenGL ES 3.1 v1.r7p0-02rel0.4ea33e6671ff828e33c99c982634cd65
Architecture: ARM Cortex-A53

i have these applications
Miracle box
MAAT
MTKDroidtools
MTK Extractor
Android image kitchen
SPFlsahtools
ADB fastboot
MTK-TWRP maker

and if any of you here would be very kind and help me thru this problem heres my stock recovery img

Attachments

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
ok try this...instead of naming the recovery just rename it 'recovery' as it is automatically an .img file
next in order to flash it reboot to fastboot or bootloader mode and type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
once the image flashes disconnect the device and reboot using the correct button method for your device either vol- & power or vol+ & power whichever one works for that particular device...this should boot the recovery your device may have a script installed which may overwrite your recovery if you reboot the device before booting directly into recovery
here below is the reason why and what you can check to see if it's causing the issue...usually using the boot directly into recovery method solves this but you can confirm this 100% by first attempting to locate this script obviously if your device is not rooted then this method may not work for you

SOLUTION:
The reason your stock recovery system keeps getting overwritten at Android startup is because of a script that is being run. All you need to do is either rename this script or simply delete it.

Please keep in mind that if you restore your stock ROM, this script will be restored with it so you will have to rename or delete it again. Do the following:

Make sure your device is powered on and running normally,

Make sure you have rooted your device and that you have all of the necessary permissions in order to manipulate system files.

In the root file system go to \system\etc

Find the file named install-recovery.sh and either rename it or, as I did, delete it.

That’s all there is to it.

Please keep in mind that you will need to flash your custom system recovery one more time after modifying the script file. After that, reboot away and you will always be able to get back into your new system recovery.

Car Gaqui

Jul 18, 2017
Hello, thank you for your guide.

Do you know if this guide could be applied to mediatek 6582 devices?

And do you happen to know any source of a TWRP for such 6582 devices?

Thank you.

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hello, thank you for your guide.

Do you know if this guide could be applied to mediatek 6582 devices?

And do you happen to know any source of a TWRP for such 6582 devices?

Thank you.
TWRP usually only works for the later CPU's mtk67xx as the recovery file is larger...the issue that the mtk65xx CPU's have with TWRP is that the recovery file for those devices has to be a certain size that's why pretty much all mtk65xx devices run CWM instead...we have a few tutorials here for you to try and create a TWRP for your device but i doubt the file will fit into your recovery.img space i would stick to CWM to be safe...if you do want to try creating a TWRP for your device make sure that you have a stock recovery.img to hand to reflash via sp flash tools if your device refuses to accept the TWRP

https://www.china-devices.com/forum/index.php?threads/easy-magic-twrp-installer-for-all-mediatek-devices.13975/

https://www.china-devices.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-install-cwm-on-every-chinaphone.12750/

Car Gaqui

Jul 18, 2017
Hello @mrsim and thank you for your promptness... :)

Can those guides that you've pointed out be applied to stock lollipop?

In my case I have a 5.0.2 stock lollipop which I have already rooted.

You say that maybe it should be better to port CWM. I am willing to try out. Can you please give me pointers as to get there?

Thank you in advance.

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
i left you guides for both options above in my last post you do not need to port CWM mtk droid tools v2.5.3 will give you the option to create it once you connect your device and follow the guide but please first make a full backup with mtk droid tools v2.5.3 before you do anything else this way you will have a full rom recovery option if anything goes wrong

https://www.china-devices.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-completely-backup-your-chinaphone.15207/

https://www.china-devices.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-install-cwm-on-every-chinaphone.12750/

Car Gaqui

Jul 18, 2017
Hello and thank you. I am going to check them out!

Also as I think I am a noob at this, I am going to ask it... :) Is it possible to tweak the original stock lollipop rom to remove the bloatware and have root / super user capabilities from the "start" ? :)

Or (one level further) how are those custom roms ported or made?

Thank you very much! See you soon!

Hello again, and sorry to have asked for info that may already been posted here on the forums.

Currently I am browsing the tutorials section. If I continue to have doubts I will come back and ask for help.

I will get back also when I solve those doubts and share what I find.

Thank you!

Last edited:

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
yes it is possible to 'tweak' your rom...you can add root access yourself easily enough...and there are quite a few 'root' apps on the store which will help you to deal with the bloatware a useful app is 'titanium backup' which you can use to either remove or freeze bloatware apps...obviously you must be very careful when attempting to remove bloatware as sometimes these apps can be tied to an important system app and can result in a soft or hard brick...but that's not much of a problem if you have a stock rom handy as you can easily just re-flash the stock rom and recover the device...or if you manage to install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM you can create a nandroid backup before you attempt to remove the bloat and also use this to recover the soft/hard brick as well

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.