How to Port ROM for MTK 65xx

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
Hello guys!

In this tutorial i will show you how to port a ROM (same SoC) to your phone in a few simple and easy steps. All you need is a

1.Stock ROM from your phone. click here if you dont have a stock ROM

2.Rom you want to port. (you can find roms on http://www.needrom.com

3.7zip, winzip or winrar.

OK. Now you have all the files needed! Lets Port the ROM.

1.Extract your STOCK rom in a new folder and rename it to STOCK ROM.

2.Extract the ROM you want to port to a new folder and rename the folder into PORT ROM.

3.From the STOCK ROM Folder Copy/Paste to PORT ROM:

- DATA folder

- boot.img file

4.Enter in system folder in your STOCK ROM and Copy/Paste to PORT ROM:

- vendor folder (Copy/Paste whole folder)

- usr folder (whole folder)

5.Go in system/lib in your STOCK ROM and Copy/Paste to PORT ROM:

- egl folder

- hw folder

- modoles folder

6.Now go in system/etc folder of your STOCK ROM and Copy/Paste to PORT ROM:

- firmware folder

- bluetooth folder

- vold.fstab file and

- vold.fstab.nand file

7.After you have copy/paste all the files from STOCK to PORT ROM you are almoust finished.

8.Last step is to go to the root of you PORT ROM folder and select :

- data

- system

- META-INF

- boot.img

and right click on them, select "add to archive" and choose .zip file extension!

9.Wait till the proccess is finished and now you can try your new PORTED rom to your Phone.

10.Copy/Paste the rom you ported to your SD Card of Phone Memory and flash it trough CWM.

11.Enjoy!!!

REMEMBER: Always make a backup of your current ROM so in case something goes wrong you can flash your backup back!

This is the simplest way to port any ROM to your phone with the same SoC, i have tested this method with MTK 6572 and its working to almoust all the ROMs (NOT WITH ALL) unfortenatelly.

So that`s how you PORT rom, test this for yourself and let me know how it turns out at the end. Feel free to ask any questions and ill anwser all i can.

While porting ROMs you may encounter in a few bugs along the way so dont worry you can fix them easily. Here are the most common bugs and how to fix them.

1. NO AUDIO FROM LOUDSPEAKER!

- Replace libaudio.primary.default.so from your stock rom system/lib folder.

If this dont work replace all libaud*.so This may cause bootloop and if it does than replace only :

libaudio.a2dp.default.so

libaudio.primary.default.so

libaudiocompensationfilter.so

libaudiocustparam.so

libaudiosetting.so

libaudioutils.so

2. HIGH AUDIO VOLUME ISSUE!

- Replace libcustom_nvram.so from your stock rom system/lib folder.

3. PROBLEMS WITH CAMERA/FRONT CAMERA NOT DETECTED!

- First replace libcamdrv.so and check if it work. If not replace libcameraservice.so from your stock rom system/lib folder. If still nothing then keep on replacing one file at a time and check. Be patient

4. NO FLASHLIGHT FROM CAMERA!

- Replace libfeatureio.so from your stock rom system/lib folder.

5. PROBLEMS WITH FM!

- Replace libfeatureio.so from your stock rom system/lib folder.

6. PROBLEMS WITH GPS!

- Replace mtk_stp_gps.ko from your stock rom system/lib/module folder.

7. VIDEO SHOWING PIXELS AND GLITCHES!

- Replace libvcodecdrv.so from your stock rom system/lib folder.

8. SCREEN IS UPSIDE DOWN!

- In build.prop find this line

ro.sf.hwrotation=0

change the value 0 to 180.

ro.sf.hwrotation=180

9. PROBLEM WITH TOUCHSCREEN!

- Replace libinput.so from your stock rom system/lib folder.

Last edited by a moderator:

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
Very nice tutorial
Will also do a video guide with this and kitchen soon.

Thank you soo much for posting my friend.

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
Heya ppl!

Thank you ITXtutor, it was my pleasure, if you can make the video tutorial will be great coz my PC is so faking slow and if try to use Camtasia it will probably burn to the ground! or ill trow it myself out of the window. hahahah

Anyway, to whoever tried this method i have found a really great ROMs that are working great with porting.... ill send you the links and you can try it for yourself.

This ROMs are for MTK 6572!

Here are the links :

1. http://mt6572roms.blogspot.com/2014/09/rom-afterlife-60-official-for-mt6572.html

2. http://mt6572roms.blogspot.com/2014/10/rom-rage-20-for-mt6572-cm-gem-and-cm.html

3. http://www.mediafire.com/download/g1cdylq490xoj1v/REWA_Aftermath_Reloaded_V2.zip

Good Luck! and Happy Porting!

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
hey nikola,

thank you so much for posting this simple method...i now need to purchase a cheap low spec device for learning to port...+2 added...:emoticon-0150-handshake:

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
hey nikola,

thank you so much for posting this simple method...i now need to purchase a cheap low spec device for learning to port...+2 added...:emoticon-0150-handshake:
You`re welcome mrsim! and thank you for the "+2"

you can test this method anyway mate, im rly curious if it will work on other SoC than 6572, if you have any phone 6575/6582/6589/6592/6595

make a CWM backup of the device which will save everything on the phone and than you can try if this work`s.....

Dec 12, 2014
Ok, guys. Just two dummy questions:

1. What does "port ROM" mean and is meant for?

2. How do you extract the files to "port" the ROM?

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK

hahaha...Jvitor...google is your friend...LOL,porting a rom means taking parts of your stock rom and adding parts from another rom that is not directly for your device but for your MTK65xx version

the important parts of your device rom stay in the created port so that you can boot and get radio and drivers,whilst the other parts from the other rom make up the rest,these are then created into a .zip file which you can flash to your device giving it a whole new look and feel,the method above is just a simple way of doing it for beginners,

there are more in depth ways of doing it available on the net

'how do you extract files to port'...did you read the tutorial...you use a backup of your existing rom

have a look at this tutorial/guide below

http://www.china-devices.com/Thread-What-are-all-the-IMAGES-in-a-ROM-Basics-Tutorial

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
You`re welcome mrsim! and thank you for the "+2"

you can test this method anyway mate, im rly curious if it will work on other SoC than 6572, if you have any phone 6575/6582/6589/6592/6595

make a CWM backup of the device which will save everything on the phone and than you can try if this work`s.....
i would test it if i had a shitty device to fool around with,but the only two MTK devices i have are the umi zero mtk6592T and Jiayu S3S 64bit

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia

heya JVitor,

Port ROM is a rom you want to flash to your device but its not made for you phone, with porting the files from your stock ROM you can make the port rom working and you can test many ROMs to your phone with same SoC (mtk6572 to mtk6572)

You can exctract the files from you STOCK ROM with winzip, winrar, 7zip and then copy/paste to the rom you want to PORT.

Dec 12, 2014
OK, guys. Now I get it.
In order to be flashable in CWM you just need to zip the files, keeping the same directory structure, such as files from system folder, etc.?

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
OK, guys. Now I get it.
In order to be flashable in CWM you just need to zip the files, keeping the same directory structure, such as files from system folder, etc.?
Yea, that will do the job.. if you want to test this try with the links i post in the #4

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
only problem could be the updater sript.. could maybe put out a error, but mostly not
updater-script could be problematic when you cant find a flashable stock rom for your device, which was a big problem in my case with my phone Jiake v5. i remember i had difficulties making an updater-script for my phone and i was stuck with an error status 0 in cwm, but andorid kitchen do the job for me, luckily.

Android kitchen make my MTK Droid backup into a flashable .zip file with and updater-script and its pretty much easy to do... but so far i had ported ROMs with this method succefully without messing with the updater-script....

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
nikola,

one of our members found some great ports for you to try

https://mtkroms.wordpress.com/
great website mrsim!!!

im especially exited for the ColorOS based ROM, i have tried alot of ColorOS based custum ROMs but unfortenatelly none of them worked

I'll give this ROMs a try and ill tell you what happen!

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
unfortenatelly mrsim bad news :/

the pure xperia v2 ROM didnt worked on my 6572. it went all good, i port it and install it sucefully but after i restart the phone stucked at the bootimage.... i guess 6577 isnt compatible to 6572.

the colorOS ROM i couldnt even try coz the link is broken...

and the PUloli works great, i had used this ROM for few weeks when i started porting ROMs

neeo9v2

Dec 5, 2014
Hey!

Im ported 2 roms for my 6572 device, but none of them used my hardware home button well.

If i press my home button, the os just select something and light up the two soft button.

So is there any fix for this?

Dec 25, 2014
Macedonia
there must be a fix but idk what you need to edit to fix that, anyway try to find another rom from a phone with mtk 6572 which have a hardware home button. that will be easier than to try to fix it, but if anything you can always google it

since my phone doesnt have hardware button i havent enountered this problem.

Which roms did you tried to port?