How To create and flash CWM Recovery without rooting the phone

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
Hey guys and welcome to a new tutorial ::batdroid:

Today i want to show you how to install CWM on your smartphone without root.

What you need:

MTK based smartphone with ext4 filesystem , this doesnt work on UBIFS !!

A computer with windows

Usb cable

ADB drivers (PDA net installer) http://www.china-devices.com/Thread-All-MTK-USB-Driver-2014

MTK droid tools http://www.china-devices.com/Thread-MTK-Droid-Tools-Latest-download

Sp flash tool http://www.china-devices.com/Thread-DOWNLOAD-All-Flashtools

Scatter map (needs to be created in mtk droid tools or download with stock rom)

A stock boot.img (dumped from your phone or needrom.com)

Ok if you got all this, then lets get started :

1. Creating scatter and CWM

After you have downloaded mtk droid tools. extract it.

Now install the ADB drivers using the PDAnet installer

Then connect your smartphone to the computer using the usb cable. make sure USB DEBUGGING IS ENABLED (Settings - Developer settings). If you cant see developer settings you have to got to "about the phone" and tap 7 times on "build number"

Now run MTK droid tools ( be sure to run as administrator!) and wait until your phone gets detected.

it should look like this.

Now we will create a scatter map, so click the following buttons :

save the scatter file somewhere on your desktop.

Now go to the second tab and chose recovery and "chose boot.img"

it will ask you to create cwm automatically, press yes !

now it should save CWM and a modded boot.img in your MTK droid tools folder under "recovery"

go to that folder and copy both images to your desktop:

now its time to flash those files to our phone using SP-flashtool.Be sure to use the latest version which is currently 5.1.

load your scatter you have created, and just chose "recovery". untick everything else. Now click at path and point to the CWM recovery on your desktop.

Dont flash the modded boot.img , just flash it if you got problems with the recovery or your phone.

if you dont know how to use SP-flashtool, make sure you check out this thread :

http://www.china-devices.com/Thread-SPFlash-Tool-Guide

after a successful flash ( green circle) you should be able to boot into cwm.

disconnect phone, remove battery, reinsert and boot into CWM by holding volume up + power

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
I call bullshit. How do you even use the functions in MTKDroid, they are mostly greyed out/ non-working when you don't have root.
ok you are either dumb,stupid or both...mtk droid tools only needs 'usb debugging' enabled in order to connect to it as it connects via ADB,(android debug bridge),IF however you are wanting to create a backup of your stock rom on an older SoC then in some cases it is needed that you may have to root your device first...in most cases pressing the 'root' button in the bottom of the program 'should' grant the device temporary root in order to get the job done
i would advise you in future to mind your manners considering you have contributed nothing to our tutorial section whilst our admin ITXTUTOR aka TECHMAGNET who has spent over 3 years compiling tutorials which he has tested himself before posting them here

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
sorry my friend the forum wasx updated a while back and all the images were lost youtube should steer you right for getting the job done although i would not attempt to do this on a device with a newer mtk67xx version chip,this tutorial is for the older mtk65xx chipset

doelwit

Sep 13, 2018
sorry my friend the forum wasx updated a while back and all the images were lost youtube should steer you right for getting the job done although i would not attempt to do this on a device with a newer mtk67xx version chip,this tutorial is for the older mtk65xx chipset
ok..my friend..can you help me about my post? Please read my post ...samsung galaxy s9 plus clone

Last edited: