How to backup your ROM with MTK droid tools !

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
Before flashing a new ROM you should backup your old ROM. So if anything happens , you can easily flash back your old one.

Therefore you will need MTK droid tools and the USB drivers and a usb cable to connect your phone to your computer. The download for MTK droid and the usb drivers can be found in the "Phone tutorial section"

Also make sure you have installed the MTK USB drivers and enabled USB Debugging from Settings > Developer Options menu.

1. Connect your phone and run downloaded MTKDroidTools.exe. After few seconds your phone info should be displayed.

2. Go to "Root, Backup, Recovery" tab. Backup button is now disabled. Click the "Root" button on the bottom to get root access to your phone.

3. You will receive a pop-up message requesting your approval for root access. You may also receive a confirmation on phone screen. The pop-up message may differ if your phone is not already rooted.

4. Now, the Backup button and other disabled buttons should be enabled.

5. You may select "Backup userdata and cache" if you want to backup your user data and settings. Click Backup button. The process will start. You can select "Yes" for "Packing backup?" question during process if you want to compress backup into a zip file.

6. When the backup is complete, go to your MTKDroidTools folder and open backups. You will find the compressed backup zip file and uncompressed files there. You can use SP Flash tool to restore your ROM when needed.

3nvbU6Km8-M

Last edited by a moderator:

futurebreeze

Jun 18, 2014
Hello!

I have a THL W200s smartphone, due to an issue with the proximity sensor I decided to change the ROM a few days ago. I have found info on the Internet, very much alike to your tutorials here. Well, I succeeded in flashing various ROMs but I still can't perform one action: to restore back a ROM backup that I had made. What I did:

- I installed a stock (not rooted) official ROM (needrom.com). I flashed it with SP Flash Tool 5.1352.13, everything worked OK, the phone started normally

- RootGenius to root device. Everything OK.

- changed back the IMEI numbers (after ROM flashing they were lost) using MTK Tools 2.5.3. Everything OK, I could make calls.

- I made a few setups, import contacts, installed a few apps, email accounts etc...

- back up with MTK Tools > to prepare blocks for flashing tool. Everything was OK.

After this, I just wanted to check if I could restore my newly created backup ROM.

Steps:

- opened SP Flash Tool 5.1352.13, I pointed to the scatter file inside the !Files_to_FlashTool folder. I entered the Format menu in SP Flash and I format flash (excepting the bootloader). After this I entered Download menu and I pressed the "Download" buton

- removed phone battery

- inserted USB cable into the phone. The process ended OK. 

I put back the battery, powered up the phone. After the animated THL logo (even with sound) the phone seemed to stop, I waited 4-5 minutes and no result, I had to remove battery in order to power off. I tried several times to power it up but no chance. I even tried to reflash everything once again but still no luck. The only thing that worked was to put the fresh stock ROM by SP Flash Tool.

I am I doing wrong? What is happening with my backups? What is supposed to be backed up from my phone by this procedure, everything or just the system files? I mean if I previously (before making the backup) configured emails, imported contacts etc. after flashing the backup I should find them untouched, ready for use, right?

Thank you!

L.E.: If this post is not at the appropriate section, please move it.

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
one tip. Happens to me also very often.

Enter the recovery and wipe data / cache - factory reset.

Should boot after this.

But please post always your own thread when you got questions ! thanks !

futurebreeze

Jun 18, 2014
I wiped cache/data/dalvik but still no result. I am already tired to try this MTK Tools backup method and I preferred not to try another ROM as long as I can't restore the original one (I hate doing all over again: importing contacts, configuring emails, Wi-Fi and so on.).

I have another MTK phone that I would like to try some alternative ROMs on but I want to make sure I will be able to restore my backup. Right now I am not sure that I could make any restore

I ask again, is this method OK to restore EVERYTHING in my phone, I mean, files, contacts, custom settings, email accounts etc.? Or it restores the just a fresh installed operating system and nothing more? Wiping cache/data/dalvik is supposed to erase all user files, right? So all I get is a fresh new operating system?

Please, could you move my posts to an appropriate area? (Hardware & Software Support). Thanks!

futurebreeze

Jun 18, 2014
Hm, I've heard about this "backup user data and cache" option from other tutorial and it seems logic... but the problem is that in my MTK Tools this option is not available.

I did format entire phone (excepting the bootloader) but then I downloaded everything mentioned in the scatter file, including the preloader (Q: bootloader = preloader?). So in the future I should ignore the preloader.

The only perfect way to backup your user data is a nandroid backup in CWM.
I guess the steps for this are:

- power the phone [+] and Power

- enter CWM recovery and choose the Backup user data (or something similar as far as I remember)

After all these I should find a backup folder on the microSD card? And that's all? I will be able to restore every bit of information ?

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
System.img should be complete

but not the tar image.

anyway it would be better to use an sd card in the phone and backup again to get all images !

Kico.MMK

Dec 11, 2014
Ok I tryed this many times,i used other sd it has more than 1.2 gb free space ,IT KEEPS GIVING THE SAME RESULT , so is this tar image important , how much space does it need for this file 

Percymama

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Mar 19, 2014
Cornwall United Kingdom
But your message says "error not enough space on device" not  on SD card?

Meaning your device has limited free space to save to System IMG

Kico.MMK

Dec 11, 2014
Ok I tryed this many times,i used other sd it has more than 1.2 gb free space ,IT worked thank you

Kico.MMK

Dec 11, 2014
Yes I tried it one more time this time it worked , the both system.ext4.tar and system.ext4.img was more than 1.2 gb (about 600 for each one) i needed just a little more space i was wrong about the free space before , sorry my bad

itxtutor

Editor in Chief
Staff member
May 15, 2015
just different ending ( tar is zipped) should be the same in both

Kico.MMK

Dec 11, 2014
What about preparing the block to flash tool is it a necessary step? ,I have seen this in other TUT not this one . 

lxjan

Dec 27, 2014
How about for iPhone 6 clone? how can i enable its USB Debugging mode?

djtetei

Jan 24, 2015
Braila
PLATFORM:

• Chipset: MT6592
  • CPU: Cortex-A7 1.7 GHz Octa-core
  • GPU: Mali-450MP4
  • SD CARD SLOT: NOT FITTED ON DEVICE

SOFTWARE:

• CWM Recovery (INSTALLED)
  • MTK Droid Tools 2.5.3
  • ADB Driver (INSTALLED AND RUNNING)
  • MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port Driver (INSTALLED AND RUNNING)

TASK:
Backup the stock (UNROOTED) factory firmware with MTK Droid Tools 2.5.3

ANSWERS:
???

Thank you!

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
PLATFORM:

• Chipset: MT6592
  • CPU: Cortex-A7 1.7 GHz Octa-core
  • GPU: Mali-450MP4
  • SD CARD SLOT: NOT FITTED ON DEVICE

SOFTWARE:

• CWM Recovery (INSTALLED)
  • MTK Droid Tools 2.5.3
  • ADB Driver (INSTALLED AND RUNNING)
  • MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port Driver (INSTALLED AND RUNNING)

TASK:
Backup the stock (UNROOTED) factory firmware with MTK Droid Tools 2.5.3

ANSWERS:
???

Thank you!

until you install superuser app the backup will stay unrooted

djtetei

Jan 24, 2015
Braila
until you install superuser app the backup will stay unrooted
OK. I know that.

But, should I press the "ROOT" button before pressing the "BACKUP" button?

djtetei

Jan 24, 2015
Braila
OK. I know that.

But, should I press the "ROOT" button before pressing the "BACKUP" button?
Is it or is it not possible to make an unrooted backup with MTK Droid Tools?