Dupad Story M7 Ultimate Guide - How to Flash Stock ROM and Root

Aug 27, 2017
NOTE - I HAVE TRIED AND TESTED THIS METHOD ON MY DUPAD STORY M7 AND IT WORKS FINE. HOWEVER, PLEASE USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF USING THIS GUIDE BRICKS YOUR PHONE, MAKES YOUR DOG RUNAWAY OR STARTS THE APOCALYPSE.Â

Â

If like me you too work in a high security area where Mobile phones with cameras are not allowed you probably already know about the Dupad. For others, the Dupad Story M7 is a Chinese MTK6735 based android phone without a camera, specially designed for people who work in high security areas. The phone is readily available from local dealers in the Middle East (not sure about other places) and these dealers are pretty much all the tech support you can get for this device. There are no stock ROMs available for this phone on the internet and there are absolutely no instructions on how to root this phone (specifically). However, all that is about to change, so gentlemen, hold on to you seats :D

Â

STEP 1 - Flashing stock ROM to your phone.

The Dupad M7 is an MTK6735 based phone. To flash stock ROM to this phone you need two things. Namely, the stock ROM itself (duh!) and another small yet really powerful program called the SP flash tool.

Â

1. Dupad Story M7 Stock ROM

Don't ask me how I got my hands on this (yes I know you've been looking for it on the internet for ages with no success) but here it is:

Stock ROM download

Â

2. SP Flash tools and it's drivers

I'm not going to give details about this program as this has been done many times by people who can definitely explain it better than me. If you have no idea what this program does, how to use it, or how to install the necessary drivers for this to work I highly recommend you watch "[Hovatek] How To Use SP Flash Tool (Full Guide)" on YouTube by Team Hovatec. If you still have issues you can ask in the comments and I'll be glad to help. Here's the video:

[Hovatek] How To Use SP Flash Tool (Full Guide)

Just a side note though - Connecting my phone on a USB 3.0 kind of did not work. It may work on your computer but just to be safe, use a USB 2.0 port to connect your phone.

Â

STEP 2 - Root (one of the most stubborn phones to root)

So if you've watched the above video carefully and followed every step you're now probably holding a completely stock and fully functioning Dupad story M7 (Yaay! Congrats!). If this is all you ever wanted in your life then you can stop at this point and enjoy your phone. However, for those willing to sail the uncharted waters and attempt to root this phone you may continue to follow this guide.

To root this phone you need to use the Kingroot app (or the Kingroot apk). Now a few of you might say:Â "But uncle Tom I've already tried the Kingroot app and it doesn't work". Yes, I know, and that is why you use the version posted here as I too have struggled a lot and spend a lifetime looking for a version of the Kingroot app that works. Here it is:

Kingroot_V4.5.0.902.zip

For those struggling with this simple one-click app, check out Kingroot's official website for a nice little tutorial on which buttons you need to push to make this magic happen.

King Root Tutorial

Â

If you've followed these steps correctly you should have a Dupad M7 on stock fw with Root access. You can now go about and remove all that useless bloatware or do what ever you heart desires.

If you have any question, feel free to comment on this post and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Â

More interesting stuff for those who don't want to stop yet:

For those who don't like the Kingroot Root management app, there is a way to Replace it with Supersu. Just follow this guide:

How to Remove/Replace Kingroot (KingUser) with SuperSu

Do note that if the first command in the terminal does not work for you, then type is "su" (without quotation) instead of "Su".

Â

Also, If you've noticed, the M7 comes in 2 versions, the No Camera and No GPS version and the NO Camera but with GPS version. What I've learned is that the GPS receiver is built in for both these versions and is only disabled in the software.Â

If you have the NO GPS version and want GPS access, follow this guide (not sure what it does but it worked for me):

GPS Fix for Chinese Smartphones without EPO and AGPS

Â

Cheers!
The link for ROM doesnot work anymore...can you please help??