Dupad Story M7 Ultimate Guide - How to Flash Stock ROM and Root

LAEEQ K.

Feb 28, 2016
NOTE - I HAVE TRIED AND TESTED THIS METHOD ON MY DUPAD STORY M7 AND IT WORKS FINE. HOWEVER, PLEASE USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF USING THIS GUIDE BRICKS YOUR PHONE, MAKES YOUR DOG RUNAWAY OR STARTS THE APOCALYPSE. 

If like me you too work in a high security area where Mobile phones with cameras are not allowed you probably already know about the Dupad. For others, the Dupad Story M7 is a Chinese MTK6735 based android phone without a camera, specially designed for people who work in high security areas. The phone is readily available from local dealers in the Middle East (not sure about other places) and these dealers are pretty much all the tech support you can get for this device. There are no stock ROMs available for this phone on the internet and there are absolutely no instructions on how to root this phone (specifically). However, all that is about to change, so gentlemen, hold on to you seats :D

STEP 1 - Flashing stock ROM to your phone.

The Dupad M7 is an MTK6735 based phone. To flash stock ROM to this phone you need two things. Namely, the stock ROM itself (duh!) and another small yet really powerful program called the SP flash tool.

1. Dupad Story M7 Stock ROM

Don't ask me how I got my hands on this (yes I know you've been looking for it on the internet for ages with no success) but here it is:

Stock ROM download

2. SP Flash tools and it's drivers

I'm not going to give details about this program as this has been done many times by people who can definitely explain it better than me. If you have no idea what this program does, how to use it, or how to install the necessary drivers for this to work I highly recommend you watch "[Hovatek] How To Use SP Flash Tool (Full Guide)" on YouTube by Team Hovatec. If you still have issues you can ask in the comments and I'll be glad to help. Here's the video:

[Hovatek] How To Use SP Flash Tool (Full Guide)

Just a side note though - Connecting my phone on a USB 3.0 kind of did not work. It may work on your computer but just to be safe, use a USB 2.0 port to connect your phone.

STEP 2 - Root (one of the most stubborn phones to root)

So if you've watched the above video carefully and followed every step you're now probably holding a completely stock and fully functioning Dupad story M7 (Yaay! Congrats!). If this is all you ever wanted in your life then you can stop at this point and enjoy your phone. However, for those willing to sail the uncharted waters and attempt to root this phone you may continue to follow this guide.

To root this phone you need to use the Kingroot app (or the Kingroot apk). Now a few of you might say: "But uncle Tom I've already tried the Kingroot app and it doesn't work". Yes, I know, and that is why you use the version posted here as I too have struggled a lot and spend a lifetime looking for a version of the Kingroot app that works. Here it is:

Kingroot_V4.5.0.902.zip

For those struggling with this simple one-click app, check out Kingroot's official website for a nice little tutorial on which buttons you need to push to make this magic happen.

King Root Tutorial

If you've followed these steps correctly you should have a Dupad M7 on stock fw with Root access. You can now go about and remove all that useless bloatware or do what ever you heart desires.

If you have any question, feel free to comment on this post and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

More interesting stuff for those who don't want to stop yet:

For those who don't like the Kingroot Root management app, there is a way to Replace it with Supersu. Just follow this guide:

How to Remove/Replace Kingroot (KingUser) with SuperSu

Do note that if the first command in the terminal does not work for you, then type is "su" (without quotation) instead of "Su".

Also, If you've noticed, the M7 comes in 2 versions, the No Camera and No GPS version and the NO Camera but with GPS version. What I've learned is that the GPS receiver is built in for both these versions and is only disabled in the software. 

If you have the NO GPS version and want GPS access, follow this guide (not sure what it does but it worked for me):

GPS Fix for Chinese Smartphones without EPO and AGPS

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
great work @LAEEQ K. this has been moved and stickied to the tutorial section... :dance4: :drinks:

have also added the 'replace kingroot,(kinguser),with superSU' as a separate tutorial as well but reading the comments it seems to only work with certain devices...but what the hey...so long as it works for some it's another method... :good2:

Last edited by a moderator:

speedfire

May 20, 2016
Hi,

How to download the file, it seems all the links is pointing elsewhere.

Pls advise.

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hi,

How to download the file, it seems all the links is pointing elsewhere.

Pls advise.
try this it's the same method

speedfire

May 20, 2016
Hi mrsim,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Wat I meant is the link to download the stock rom for dupad story M7?

The download link provided by the threadstarter , I am clueless where to click the download as all the download link is pointed to elsewhere.

Thanks.

speedfire

May 20, 2016
Can any kind soul shared the dupad story M7 ROM file

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hi mrsim,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Wat I meant is the link to download the stock rom for dupad story M7?

The download link provided by the threadstarter , I am clueless where to click the download as all the download link is pointed to elsewhere.

Thanks.
seriously...if needed create an account over at 4shared

speedfire

May 20, 2016
seriously...if needed create an account over at 4shared

Hi mrsim,

Thanks, I had signed up, however still unable to download. Seriously I think this is a fake.

Thanks for all the help.

speedfire

May 20, 2016
Hi mrsim,

Just an update, at last I managed to download the files. After signed up, I need to add the files into my account then they allowed me to download it.

Hope this will help for those as reference.

Good day!

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
Hi mrsim,

Just an update, at last I managed to download the files. After signed up, I need to add the files into my account then they allowed me to download it.

Hope this will help for those as reference.

Good day!
no problem...for me there was no problem downloading the file...so not sure what was wrong...???

speedfire

May 20, 2016
Hi guys,

As I totally new to MTK Flash Tool, I just tried using it to flash my M7. After it had done, I thought the phone will be reset, however I realised everything is the same as if I had never flash it.

The 2 files that I excluded from the downloaded ROM are cache and userdata.

Can anyone advised is it normal.

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
do you mean 'sp flash tools'...?

yes you do not need to flash usrdata and cache but this is a stock rom correct...?

so of course nothing will change what did you expect...?

but in future never ever flash the preloader...a wrong preloader can brick your device for good

speedfire

May 20, 2016
do you mean 'sp flash tools'...?

yes you do not need to flash usrdata and cache but this is a stock rom correct...?

so of course nothing will change what did you expect...?

but in future never ever flash the preloader...a wrong preloader can brick your device for good
Thanks mrsim,

Yup I referring to the sp flash tools.

Ok, tat mean this rom I flashed is not cleaned, as this morning I still received pushed apps without my knowing. 

Ok noted, in future I will take noted to exclude the "preloader".

Maybe I need to try other option

mrsim

KingOfNoobs
Staff member
Mar 1, 2014
London UK
what you will need to do is root the device and then locate these apps in the system and remove them with 'system app remover' or one of our tutorials from our tutorial section

speedfire

May 20, 2016
what you will need to do is root the device and then locate these apps in the system and remove them with 'system app remover' or one of our tutorials from our tutorial section
system app remover??? u mean uninstall it.

Can share with me the thread.

speedfire

May 20, 2016
Dear mrsim,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

LAEEQ K.

Feb 28, 2016
@speedfire sorry for the unforgivably late reply. Unfortunately I've been thrown away on a jack-up drilling rig far away from civilization and it's most basic need, the Internet. 

What you need to do is root the phone,  install Titanium Backup (the pro version if possible) and delete the YouTube app that comes with the firmware. I did this and so far haven't seen those push apps and unwanted Web pages again. 

Try it and let me know. 

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.