1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current best £200+- phone?

Discussion in 'Which China Phone Should I Buy?' started by davidfromkent, Aug 25, 2017.

Share This Page

1. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentAug 25, 2017

United Kingdom
    Hi. It's been a while. I'm still struggling on with the Jiayu S3 I bought - never did fix the microphone problem and using a bluetooth earbud all the time is getting on my t'ts now. So am going for a new one. I've got a list! (Wish, of course.)

Gold, 5.5" screen no bezel, 2+GHz, 4+Gb Ram, 64Gb, 4G of course, skinny, 16mpx rear camera and best possible front.

I've gone through Kimovil and ended up at the LeEco Le Pro 3 X722.
    Have concerns on that due to comments about 'horrible software/unrootable/no international rom/not good to run other launchers.'

Would very much appreciate feedback from those in the know on here whether it's a viable choice - if not what would you go for with the same requirements - errr- wishes.

You steered me very well last time thanks, the S3 is a superb value-for-money phone, I just got unlucky with that mic problem...

mrsim likes this.
  2. mrsim

By:mrsimAug 26, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    hello mate it's been a while...and a shame about jiayu as a company as they decided to quit the smartphone buisnesswhich is a real shame considering they were one of the few decent small china manufacturers...a dam shame
    now what can i say about LeEcoo please completely avoid this company as i think i read somewhere that they are soon to go tits up
    as for what you are asking for in the specs department...i would wait a little for more bezellessdevices to arrive on the scene...as this is just a fad that the china phone manufacturers are trying to copy from the bigger well known brands
    keep an eye out on youtube with all the well known reviewers of these smaller china manufacturers i will leave a small list of the guys who post their vids here in the forum and others

mrwhostheboss

TechLineHD
    You must be registered to see links - Please Register or Login!

RevMeTech

Zi Reviews Tech

Redskull

3. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentAug 28, 2017

United Kingdom
    Cheers mrsim - really appreciate your input! Yes I held off on the LeEco after doing more research. Maybe I'm asking too much for around £200 - everything phone I think looks good ends up with some issue that puts me off.

Off to go through the videos now - thanks. :grinning:

mrsim likes this.
  4. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentAug 28, 2017

United Kingdom
    P.S. Who do you have good affiliate links with, would like to return the favour!

mrsim likes this.
  5. mrsim

By:mrsimAug 29, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    haha...no mate none of those just purchase from where you think you can trust with a decent price

6. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentAug 29, 2017

United Kingdom
    Thanks! I think I'm going to go for the Xiaomi Mi Max 2. Have to make a decision otherwise I'll be agonizing for ages.
    It's different enough to stand out - especially when making calls on a 6.6" screen it'll look like I'm phoning on a tablet. :grin:
    Also it's got NFC which I'd forgotten to mention before - although not sure how I'll get around rooting it in that case...

Just wish it was gold all over, rather than the back gold and the front white - I suppose it might give it a 'Versace' type of look! Which I'm not convinced I'll like.

Plus there's a company in Ireland that has them in stock - although they say rooting will invalidate the one-year warranty. :(

Cheers.

mrsim likes this.
  7. mrsim

By:mrsimAug 29, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    that's a good choice...although getting it from an irish company is odd due to copyright infringement so i would hazard a guess and say not to worry too much regarding root access...although...this device will most probably ship with a shop rom and not an original rom installed...this is so you can have the playstore directly on the device without having to add it yourself,(which is a pretty simple thing to do anyway), so make sure that they let you know which rom this comes shipped with....the sure way to tell is when you attempt to download and install whatsapp,(if you use it), it may have issues with adding you into it's location as these shop roms do not have the UK in their listed locations...for some strange reason it's ommitedand you have to first unlock the bootloader officially via any method you can find online or better yet over at the You must be registered to see links - Please Register or Login!...you will need to create a MIUI account and be carefull not to use capitols or numbers or somesuch i cannot remember which when creating the account....just make sure that you read up fully over at their official forum You must be registered to see links - Please Register or Login!
    that is a direct link to the Mi Max 2 section
    there you will see links and tutorials for the global stable roms and opportunities to join their beta testing program etc...lots of stuff...just make sure 100% that the device will work for you in irelandwith your carrier...also it may be worth going for the first gen as it maybe cheaper but also no NFC i think

8. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentAug 30, 2017

United Kingdom
    Brilliant info thanks! Still debating whether to get from Ireland or direct from China. Felt it would be better for returns if problems plus quicker delivery to UK, but still considering.

Watched loads of reviews on those YouTube links you gave, thanks.

Edit: Found a used one from UK seller on ebay, which I've bought. Weirdly, it's all gold, rather than white front, which is great! Google Play installed so already configured as I need it, I think.
    Will add a post on how I like it later.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    mrsim likes this.
  9. mrsim

By:mrsimAug 30, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    ok if it's all gold it is most probably the first gen..is it the 128gb versionor the 64gb version...also even if it has playstore on it that does not mean it has the correct rom installed...also there is quite a bit of development for that device so if you do not like the stock MIUI rom you can always unlock the bootloader and flash a custom rom onto the device
    there are some good links below for everything from stock/custom roms,kernels,accessories hints and tips etc etc

davidfromkent likes this.
  10. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentAug 30, 2017

United Kingdom
    Hmmm. It was definitely advertised as the Xiaomi Mi Max 2.
    I'll make sure I check when received on Friday. It was the 64gb version.
    Thanks for those links, I'm off to read!
    upload_2017-8-30_20-51-50.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
    mrsim likes this.
  11. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentSep 2, 2017

United Kingdom
    The phone turned up today. Absolutely thrilled with it. Incredibly fast and responsive. I don't even mind the miui 8 interface, although expect I'll end up rooting the phone at some point.

So far only cons are that it doesn't appear to have the NFC that was on the spec - looks like a Xiaomi backtrack more than anything else - still to verify.
    And, I've been too busy to get out to see if the 4G works or not. At the moment, I'm not even seeing 3g in the house, which is a little weird. The spec. says 1800 and 2600 LTE so should be ok but I need to test.

But I have to say it's a brilliant phone. I spent a little time getting it sorted so I could use it as a 'normal' UK phone and it's the bees knees - best 'budget' phone I've had to date for sure.

mrsim likes this.
  12. mrsim

By:mrsimSep 2, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    mi max 1+2.PNG
    glad to hear it mate...i have a friend who i recomended the phone to who is also pleased as punch with the device...even though it's a big 6'44 inch beast of a mo'fo it still seems good to hold regardless...just remember to double check the micro USB connection...if it's usb type c it's a mi max 2 and if it's micro usb then it's the first gen
    also the antenna bands should go around the top and bottom part of the device on the MM2 whereas on the MM1 there is a seperate plastic cover completely

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  13. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentSep 2, 2017

United Kingdom
    It's definitely a Max 2 - and I love it. I'd say it's actually the best phone I've ever had, not just best budget phone. Took me ages to get the data access sorted, ended up putting sim back in old phone and copying the APN settings. Good old Talkmobile aren't up to IPV6 yet! But at £7.50 for all the calls, texts I could want and 2Gb data I can't complain too much!

The only thing I haven't got so far is 4G. Getting H+ in the house, will see what happens when I get out and about!

Absolutely superb phone. And even the white front (yes, it wasn't gold) doesn't look naff. :grin:

mrsim likes this.
  14. mrsim

By:mrsimSep 2, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    ok that's odd regarding the 4G LTE as my friends one has no problem although i think he is using an EE sim,try using friends and family's sim cards and see if it's the network but you should not have an issue

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  15. davidfromkent

By:davidfromkentSep 7, 2017

United Kingdom
    Thanks. Still having a problem - haven't managed to check using a friend's sim yet - most of them are using Nokia 3310s. :tearsofjoy:
    If you happen to speak to your friend any time, would be grateful if you could ask them to do *#*#4636#*#* (or Settings/About Phone/tap 'Internal Memory' 5 times) and compare what 'Set preferred network type:' with mine. Cheeky, I know...
    upload_2017-9-7_9-27-31.jpeg

mrsim likes this.
  16. mrsim

By:mrsimSep 7, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    well i just went onto You must be registered to see links - Please Register or Login!
    and it shows that your carrier does not even support 4G LTE...are you sure they support it...?
    talkmobile.PNG

17. davidfromkent

United Kingdom
    Hi - yes I think that list is out of date. As you know (I expect) Talkmobile use Vodafone. They emailed me over a couple of months ago saying I could now access 4g. Which I did on my old S3 when I was out and about. The S3 is gone now so I can't stick the sim back in to check if all still ok.
    The Mi Max 2 doesn't cover 800 Mhz but is ok with the higher numbers.
    As you can see from Talkmobile's coverage map - I should be getting a pretty strong 4g signal. Maybe I should call them and see what they can do.
    upload_2017-9-7_13-2-23.png

mrsim likes this.
  18. davidfromkent

United Kingdom
    God that was a waste of time and a rise in blood pressure. Eventually (after trying to get me to do basic stuff I'd already done, in broken English) tried to sell me an upgrade to a new phone! Arrrrrgggghhh!

When I finally lost it with him, said it's a phone problem, you sort it.

Absolutely crap service.

Sincerely,
    Fuming from Dover.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    mrsim likes this.
  19. mrsim

By:mrsimSep 7, 2017
    KingOfNoobs
    Staff Member

United Kingdom
    Mmmmm...odd i would defo try other sim cards ASAP as i fear that your carrier is the issue not the device...are you able to pop into town and try all the local phone shops and see if they can insert a sim to check maybe...i have contacted my mate but nothing from him yet ATM....PMSL regarding your service center...HAHAHA...where are they based...india...?
    and that picture you posted...you live near a place called 'FART'HIN'GLOE'....fucking crying right now....:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

20. davidfromkent

United Kingdom
    Yes when I check which carriers are available on manual, EE, 3 and O2 all come up with 4G. Think I'll probably switch to EE (but via Virgin) - as it happens my contract with Talkmobile expires 9th Sept so that's a bit of luck! Thanks. And as for Farthingloe, yes, well, err...